Riverview School seeks to integrate academic and social development in students’ living environment to encourage living and learning together.
Following are some of the skills that Riverview students learn in the dorms:
- Room and dorm care and laundry
- Budgeting and money management (“needs vs. wants”)
- Leisure-time planning
- Establishing and maintaining friendships
- Health and wellness through nutrition, fitness and recreation opportunities
- Self-advocacy and social skills
- Meal planning and preparation (GROW students have one assigned cooking night a week with staff support)
- Scheduling evening homework and/or quiet time
- Time management and organization (agendas, charts, lists)
- Executive function skills
- Community safety practices
*While the routine and structure ensure that these important skills are taught and reinforced, GROW students play a very active role in designing and planning their individual schedules.